Friday, September 9, 2011

A Year Already?

Well eleven months of silence is quite enough.  I, unfortunately can't say I had some incredibly earth shattering epiphany within the last year.  I guess that really is how life goes.  You make the mistake of not paying attention and what do you know another year comes and goes. 

I'm reminded of my childhood when, with uncontainable anticipation, I would be subjected to a seemingly endless journey to the big town of Huntsville.  A trip that would last an hour at best, might as well have been to a galaxy far far away.  I sometimes wondered to myself why we didn't fly.  I think I may have even wondered why someone still hadn't invented that cool teleportation machine that I saw on tv.  I mean how could anybody make this trip on a regular basis.  This might be a good time to admit that my thought process as a child (and arguably still today) was a bit on the quirky side.  Ok, so what could possibly create that much anxiety in a child?  Showbiz Pizza of course (for the younger crowd Chuck E Cheese).  Oh but not just Showbiz Pizza oh no!  After we had our fill of the token utopia we then moved on to the toy heaven that is Toys R Us.  The combination of games, toys, pizza, and dancing bears created an environment of stimulation overload.

What about the trip back?  Did it ever seem as long?  Yeah sure you might have been asleep for part of it, but the excitement and anticipation no longer created in us a sense of urgency.  So maybe without something to anticipate (hope for) we begin to feel the years slipping through our fingers.  It will never be within our power or position to turn back time, but I believe it is very possible to slow our perception of its passing.  With hope comes a sense of urgency, and with a sense of urgency comes action.  We are meant for action, meaningful fruitful action.  I think the greatest  tragedy would be for our hope to rest in something less than what it were intended.

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.    I Peter 1:13

No comments:

Post a Comment